Monday, November 28, 2011

Two weeks worth

Here are excerpts of the last two weeks from Riley's letters.  He sounds great!

At the beginning of this week we had another AWESOME dinner. It was on Tuesday with the Rosalez family. They are way cool.  Before they got baptized they were gypsies.  The hermano has really long hair, and one of his eyes is a lot bigger than the other.  He is so funny and crazy!  So on Sunday they told us how to get to their house.  We asked for an address, but they don't have one.  You will soon see why.  They told us just to walk down this road until we hit a little grove of trees and then to go into the little grove of trees until we see a big blue bus.  So we had no clue where we were going.  But we just started walking and finally made it to the little forest.  Which was way cool by the way, lots of big vines and stuff.  Tons of parrots all over.  After 10 minutes of walking through this jungley type forest we got to this big old blue bus.  Big surprise to us, the big blue bus is their house!  It is so sweet. Elder Puma and Anderson were with us. So the parents, four elders and their two little kids were crammed in this old bus eating food.  It was so cool.  Pretty good food too.  I ate this spine of a chicken. Such an awesome family.
 
So Thursday as you know was Thanksgiving. We went to this big buffet in down town Villa Maria.  It was so good!  They had all types of asado still on the grill. Chicken, Pork, and beef.  Plus they even had french fries. I had 6 plates full of tons of meat.  My second favorite part about it was the fruit. They had every type of fruit you could ever imagine. Plus some I had never seen. I had 3 giant plates of fruit. And of course they had a big table full of deserts. Tons of different kinds of tortas ( cakes ) and ice cream with big bowls of Dulce de Leche.  We were there for about 3 hours.  After 11 plates in total I was so full.  It was awesome.  I definitely got my 60 pesos worth.  The workers were stunned every time I got up for another plate ha ha. It was weird all the other people around us would get like 2 servings.  Must not of been their thanksgiving.
 
 
Right now we´re still really struggling with investiagadors. We have one lady named Georgina who is really nice, but impossible to get a hold of. She is always gone and never is there for appointments. Its kinda frustrating. But we have one tonight so we will see. We have talked about the Book of Mormon and stuff with her but she claims to not believe in God. But, she always reads what we tell her to and she always lets us come back. So I know there is something there. Tonight we are showing her faith in Christ the movie. I think it will be perfect. The guy in there has all the same questions as she does. So that's Georgina. We have like 10 other people that we have taught they are just hard to get a hold of. But I know that its just as important to strengthen members and less actives as it is to find and teach. So we can still have success even when it feels like we aren't having any.
 
 
I got a church calling. Gospel Doctrine teacher for the Recent Converts and Investigadors.  It's so awesome.  You should see me up there teaching.  Sometimes I have to bite my tongue because some pretty hilarious things happen.  Some of the questions.... Kill me. "No hermana we cant still use wine to make it more symbolistic. Yes if we can't get a hold of water we could use banana orange juice."  Its awesome. I love you all!!
 
I got my haircut for the first time here in Argentina. A lady in our ward owns a peluqueria. She did a pretty good job ha ha... No seriously it looks good. Plus it was free. What more can you ask for? We go to her house once a week for lunch. It is always our most anticipated meal of the week. Then after she always lets me go out back and pick a bunch of grapefruits to take home. They are really good! Its awesome because Elder Maude doesn't like them. They are really an awesome family.
 
Sunday was probably the highlight of the week even though Hermano Mollo didn't go to church. Yesterday was our wards primary program ha ha. Oh my gosh. That's really all I can say. It was so funny! I thought our wards primary programs were crazy.. Kids were just running around, up and down the stand, hitting each other, it was a show. I was laughing so hard. But it was well done. Everyone had their little part they read and they sang songs ha ha. Then after we ate lunch at the Rivero´s house. He is the Elders Q pres. Really awesome guy. He served a mission in Buenos Aries.  During lunch his kid spilled a whole pitcher of juice on me ha ha. I felt right at home :). Just kidding.  Pretty sure I was the one that was spilling things most the time. 
 
I started reading Jesus the Christ before I go to bed.  I really love it.  It's so interesting to learn what his name means and all the significance.  One of the best things I have read so far is the story of the leper?  Jesus was in Capernaum when a leper came to him and said If though wilt, thou canst make me clean?  Talmage makes a big deal that he didn't say Can you heal me?  But he said Will you heal me?  He asked with 110% faith.  As I have thought about it I think that this totally applies to us.  We need to follow the commandments and guidance of our prophet with the "Will you heal me" mindset.  I know that if we were to do that we would be even more blessed and strengthened that much more.  There are countless times that I can think of when I have taken the "Can you heal me?" mindset.  Every day I strive to teach, learn, and follow with the "Will you Heal me?" faith in my mind.  Sometimes its hard.  But we have lots of help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment